"Hey they say I better get a chaperone
80s Music - Masturbation Songs
'Cause I can't stop messing with the dangerzone..."
- Cindi Laupa, She Bop (1984)
Click for Google +1
After listening to all the 80's doom and gloom of Nuclear war music, people needed some light relief. Not surprisingly this came in the form of songs about self indulgence - a popular 80's theme. It wasn't always obvious and some people still argue whether songs like Turning Japanese are really about masturbation or alienation. As the list shows, several icons of the 80's music scene have at least one song dedicated to this theme, while others such as New Order's Perfect Kiss made passing mentions. To give you an idea, we have included selected lyrics for a few of of the entries.
- Strokin' - Clarence Carter
'I stroke it to the East and I stroke it to the West'
- Turning Japanese - The Vapors
'I want a doctor to take a picture so I can look at you from inside as well'
- She Bop - Cyndi Lauper
'They say I better stop or I'll go blind'
- The Perfect Kiss - New Order
'Tonight I should have stayed at home - playing with my pleasure zone'
- Darling Nikki - Prince
- Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
- Close To Me - The Cure
- Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
- Everyday I Die - Tubeway Army
- Masturbation Generation - Boys Next Door
- Pump It Up - Elvis Costello
- St. Swithin's Day - Billy Bragg
- Be My Girl (Sally) - Police